Friday, October 17, 2008

Discipline in the Robertson home!

I'm sure a lot of you parents out there can agree that finding effective discipline is never easy! We struggle to find what works the best and when we do find it, it looses it's affect. We've done just about everything, minus beat them silly. When they were younger we would have them get out my old baby dolls from when I was a kid and they'd have to sit and practice being nice to the doll. They didn't like that so much, especially when Dave threatened to send the dolls with them to school.
Another method of torture we've used is to have them do chores together. They usually end up fighting more than not so then I have them do more chores. It's a very effective way to get a lot of work out of them but not so effective in stopping the fighting!
A new method that I have recently incorporated is that when they misbehave or fight, they have to walk on my back or rub my feet. I love it!! If they're going to upset the spirit of our home, I might as well get repaid for feeling sad because of their misdeeds. Is that bad? All I have to do is threaten a need for a massage and they get the message! Very effective!
The other night, they were going at it again so Dave had them sit and hold hands together while they looked at each other and smiled. They had to do this for ten minutes. If they let go or started arguing again the timer was reset. Pretty effective!
Oh...just a minute...someone is knocking at the door...what did you say, Connor?...Social Services is here??? Oops got to go!!!!!!

3 comments:

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

I love your posts! I really enjoyed reading about the kids, however it makes me miss you guys even more. I tried calling Liz, guess what no answer! I am hoping that it is sn hour ealier there, or is was maybe to late to call. I started working on stuff for her tonight....anyhoo...I love how personal you have made your blog already, it is addicting...watch out facebook!

Sammi said...

Haha, okay, that was thee most funniest form of punishment, ever. That's absolute genius. My mom and I read that and just laughed the whole time. Your kids are so dang cute, though.

Britt said...

Hey Sarah...I saw you posted on Erik's facebook and thought I would say "hi!" I'll have to get my own account someday. Your family is adorable. I can't believe you live in WI..Erik's little bro served his mission there and loved it!

Remember when we went to Vegas our senior year? Now that I am a parent I think back on that trip and can't believe any of our parents let us go. CRAZY!