Sunday, March 8, 2009

For a few hours I felt like I was in India...


Last night Dave and I went on a double date with some friends of ours, the St. John's. We drove to Green Bay to go to a restaurant called Taste of India. I had never had Indian food before so this was exciting for me.
Just a little back ground on my ethnic food history... Before I had married Dave, I hadn't had a lot of ethnic foods. I had lived in Portugal and had tried some interesting things from the cooking there, but as far as loving and craving really different foods, that came with Dave subjecting me to all kinds of different things. And I'm glad he has...
Last night we had lots of yummy things. We started out with some thin crispy bread called puris that was served with different chutneys to dip in. These were some very good and unique flavors I've never had before. We also had a serving of the tradional Indian bread called Naan (similar to a puffy tortilla).
Following that we had an appetizer called Samosa. They were a type of fried pastry filled with potatoes and peas. Yum! It was kind of funny because on the plate that the Samosa's were served on, there was a bed of greens with a spice sprinkled on the dish. We all took a lick of the spice to figure out was it was. I had never had this taste before and couldn't figure out what it was. We all decided that it tasted like a hard cooked egg. Very interesting!
After that we had some main dishes that we all shared so we could try different flavors. We ordered Palak Paneer (spinach curry with cheese, was my favorite!), Lamb Curry (Dave's favorite), Matar Paneer (Green peas and mushroom curry), and a dish called Tandoori which was a bunch of different types of meats and veggies grilled in a clay oven.
I also had a drink (which was more like a dessert) called a Mango Lassie. This was a yogurt drink flavored with mango and rose water. So, so good! After the meal they served sweetened fennel seeds which apparently you suck on, then spit out. Dave didn't know this and he had chewed and swallowed his. He said that wasn't so good! :(
After feeling cooped up in my house for so long it was so good to get away, even if it was for a few hours. Dave and I joked that we felt like we were some where far away as the waiter staff could hardly speak English either!
So, I highly recommend Indian food to you if you haven't tried it. Very different then any thing I've had, but so good. I thoroughly enjoyed this meal and am going to try my hand at cooking some of these dishes for my family in our rotation of meals!

4 comments:

Clare said...

Clint and I went on our first date to Bombay House in Provo and ever since we love Indian food. His mom even gave me an Indian cookbook that I've tried a lot of recipes out of. (She got me a bunch of the spices, too, because some of them are weird and kind of pricey.) I love most things that we've tried, but some of them I'm not sure what's in them which is probably a good thing...I try my creations on my familiy, but they're not all so adventurous. http://clareskitchen.blogspot.com/search/label/Indian These are a couple recipes that are from my cookbook that both of us love. The only weird spice you need is garam masala, and you can find it at the grocery store. McCormick makes it in a glass jar and is probably about $4 or so.

Sara said...

Clare,
Down in GB right next to this restaurant is a new Indian grocery store. I'm going to have to go check it out and get me some of this stuff. I guess they also carry some of the Indian cheese that was so good. YUMMY!

Lauren said...

Sara! It sounded like you had a great time, and the restaurant sounds really fun!

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

Hey you, that sounds really good. I have to be really careful with Indian food, the curry that they use make me ILL. We need to plan a get together, we can make something work.