Sunday, March 15, 2009

Oliver's Busy Week

DESTINATION IMAGINATION

Oliver had the opportunity to be involved with a program called Destination Imagination. I wasn't familiar with this before I moved to Wisconsin, but it is a neat thing for kids to get involved with after school. It's a world wide program that kids get to compete in, first on a regional level, then state, then nationals, then world. (In fact, the school the kids used to go to before we moved to our current city, took 1st in world level for several years.)
What the kids do is meet together for several months after school with a "coach". The kids are given a challenge that they have to overcome as shown in a play/skit. They have to come up with the idea and solution all on their own, create their set, write the play and come up with ideas for costumes. It's a great way for them to let their creative juices flow!
Oliver has had a couple of opportunities in the last few weeks to let his artistic side show through the stage. He told me a few days ago that he thought that maybe his "destiny" was to be an actor! We'll see!!





THE PINEWOOD DERBY

Another big thing on the list to do this week was to help Oliver build a Pinewood Derby Car. Can I just say, the more I do this event with my boys, the more I hate it!? To me, all it is is a place for the dad's who know what they're doing to make their kids car the best and the fastest thing to hit the track! It is so hard to compete at these races if you don't know what the heck you are doing! Let just say, based on Dave's look in the following picture, that he doesn't get into it too much. He wants our boys to make the car themselves as much as possible, which is the right thing to do. But on the other hand, I know they can't preform next to these "daddy pros" who build their boys car. What to do?? Well, Oliver's car didn't do that well...30th out of 31! I felt bad for him, looking at the disappointment on his face when his car lost every round. I heard several other boys who didn't preform very well go up to their dad's and say, "You stink at building cars!!!". Sad.
I do know that Oliver had fun making the car and he especially had fun after the race, zooming his car around the gym with his brothers and buddies.
I know there are other Pack's out there that have a "daddy race" for the dads to compete in. I wish ours would do that and leave the kids to do their own with just a little bit of help in the carving of the car. But until then, this mommy feels too much pressure!
(* Note: After re-reading this post on the derby with Dave, I realize that it sounds a little harsh and bitter. I'm not really that upset about it, but these are the things I feel about it.)

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh, I HATE the pinewood derby.
I've only done it once.
And I wasn't involved at all (except to remind D it was coming up). I was even calculating if we'd ever have to make 2 of them. Hopefully not. :)

Emily said...

1. I think the "Destination Imagination" sounds like such a fun thing for Oliver to do. He'll shine. What do you expect? It's his destiny...

2. I'm totally on the same page with you on P.D. Yes, lots of memories of those days. The boys did have fun working together on a project with Keith. It should be all about the boys, though.

CarrieMarie said...

My dad was the leader of our church's Royal Rangers & they did pinewood derby every year. He made it a point that the BOYS did the work, w/ HELP from the parents. And he ran workshops for the boys who didn't have dads or handy parents at home, so that they would get help w/ their cars, too. : ) I think the reason he started all of that was because he noticed those things (soley dad-made cars) making the other kids feel bad, but I don't remember for sure. I just remember he & my brother had fun w/ it. : )