Tuesday, March 17, 2009

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!


This morning for breakfast I made the kids some GREEN steel cut oats for breakfast. They seemed slightly concerned when they looked in their bowls!


Oliver asked this morning if I knew where an orange marker was. I asked him why he need one and he said so he could draw an orange beard on his face. I guess he wanted to be a leprechaun. I told him that I thought a green shirt would be fine to wear to school and maybe we'd have to look into making a beard with yarn after school.


Last night for dinner I made corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots, and Irish soda bread rolls for dinner. I made the Irish dinner last night instead of tonight because Dave and Stuart weren't going to home tonight. I thought it was so tasty! The kids liked it too, even the cabbage! They normally devour carrots but they all said they didn't like them too well. Maybe the carrots tasted funny to them because I cooked them in the crock pot with the meat and potatoes. Who knows!!
My sister, Emily, gave me the recipe for the Irish soda bread. It was the first time that I had ever tried making it and I thought it was pretty good. They are a heavy, quick bread with a crusty crust. They are quick and easy and that's what I liked about them! Here's the recipe if you want to try them out.

Irish Soda Bread Rolls


2 1/2 c. + flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all-purpose)
1 c. oats
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. currents or raisins (I used currents to add some sweetness)
1 1/2 c. buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients and add buttermilk to make a manageable dough. (You may have to add a little more flour so that the dough isn't too sticky.) Stir to just combine. Overmixing produces a tough dough. Form into rolls and roll in some flour. This recipe made 8 rolls for me. Place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Cut crosses on the top of the roll and bake for 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Best fresh out of the oven!

3 comments:

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

Ok, I had to laugh. I thought that I had gone to a strangers blog by accident. I didn't recognize Connor and Stu. I don't think that I have ever seen either of them with longer hair, and they both look SO grown up. I guess they are not the same little guys that I remember. I think that the orange beard would have been awesome, and the yarn beard even better. To bad that he didn't mention that to you last night, he would have been the only kid at school with a beard. And you dinner looks yummy, and a little to familiar. We had it Saturday at a party, and Sunday with the elders...and Mike ate the leftovers last night. It is his favorite meal. I don't know that I like anything enough to eat it 3 nights in a row...well maybe chocolate cake.

nic and hai said...

love the kids.
love cornbeef and cabb.
love eating cornbeef sandwiches (rubens)
love oliver + orange marker story.
hahahahahhaa.
i love you guys.
and i have to tell you that i miss you.
thanks for blogging.
it makes me feel not so homesick for algoma.

nic and hai said...

updates updates