Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Amazing Peeing Pooch!


If any of you have been on my Facebook page you would've seen that I've had a bit of doggy drama in my life. I don't know how I get myself in these predicaments but lately it seems to me that I have found myself in some positions where I'm asked to do some things that I really don't want to and then they turn out to be more drama than I care for.
Last week an acquaintance called me to see if we'd doggy-sit her dog while they went to Florida for 10 days. I was a bit hesitant to do this but I thought well, it might come in handy for us to have some one we could call on if we ever needed anyone to watch our dog for us. I asked if the dog was house trained and all that and she said of course; that he had never peed in her house before. I suggested that before they go, they bring the dog over to see if he's get along with our dog, Poppy.
The dogs were doing their doggy thing...running around, playing and smelling each other. Things seemed pretty normal and it looked like everything was going to be OK. About a half hour into the visit, Poppy was smelling him and he lifted his leg and peed on my living room rug. The owner just about died and said, "COSMO, WHAT THE H*LL!?!?!" Well, that should've been a sign! She apologized and just summed it up to being the nerves. Oh well...
A few days later they brought him over at about 7:30 p.m. The owner told me she was going to be going to bed early since they had to leave for the airport at 3:00a.m. They brought over all his stuff and bid him goodbye...that's when the drama started.
I'm telling you, that dog started to pee, and he peed and peed and peed! I was near hysterics! Every time I finished cleaning one pee he'd go and pee some where else. Now I don't want you to think I'm totally dense by not putting him in the kennel right away, but I didn't realize what was happening till after he'd peed 5 times. That includes on the couch, the carpet, the rug, the rug by the front door, and a blanket...
I didn't know what to do. I felt bad to call the owners because I knew they were in bed already and it seemed too late for them to make other arrangements. But after talking to a friend and my sister, Natalie, they both HIGHLY ENCOURAGED me to call the owners. I took the dog to their house and decided that it would be best to have the dog stay in his own house and then I'd go three times every day to play with him and take him out.
Now, two days into this arrangement I'm realizing what a pain in the butt it is to go out to their house for a half hour in the morning, have the boys go and spend two hours after school and then go for an hour before bed. How do I get myself into this??? I'm glad I can help out but originally when I agreed to it, it was just going to be having another dog around to play with my dog. Oh well...I guess I still have lessons to learn.

6 comments:

DJ said...

OH Sara I am so so sorry! I think you did the right thing though in taking him back to his own house. Who wants to deal with that for 10 days straight even though I can only imagine what pain in the butt it is to go over to their place that often esp. in the cold weather. I agreed to dog sit a pregnant dog once, she went in to labor while I was there starting out with out of control diahrea all over the living room floor. I finally got him out to the garage but up to that point I was at a such a loss. She had her puppies that night--in the garage on a blanket. So it worked out. But I honestly don't know the first thing about dogs. Somehow the dog survived and so did I--we're both still alive now. Good luck with the remaining days in tending your peeing pooch!

Kaylene said...

Oh that is terrible. It sounds to me like the dog is "marking" his territory where your little dog has been. Is this dog neutered? I know my vet told me that our little guy would do less "marking" when he was neutered. He has stopped having to leave his mark everywhere when we go on walks now.
You are so nice to take care of someones dog for them. Even though I wish I had someone to babysit Moki for us when we are gone, he is happy at the kennel and were happy knowing he wont try to run away to find us.
Best of luck the next little while.

Stacy Stoddard said...

Oh Sara, you should have locked that dog in a small space and then it should solve the problem. Dogs don't like to pee where they sleep or have to spend a lot of time. But then if your friend found out you locked her dog up she might not have liked that either.

I will tell you I love our dog, but I hate we can't go anywhere without calling half of our friends before we can find someone that will be willing to watch her. And her being an inside dog makes it that much harder.

Heidi said...

Sara you are a saint! I have my own dog dilema and I don't even have a dog. Mine isn't quite like yours though. Do you suppose Cosmo was marking his territory? Nasty critter.
My neighbor has been in a nursing home/hospital since Feb. 2008. I walk her mutt morning, evening and night. Kim takes care of the noon. It is a HUGE pain and I'm more than ready to be done. I feel bad for him as he's all alone in that house all day every day, but that's just too bad. Cleaning up his messes when I don't get there soon enough is no fun either. I figure there has to be a special blessing somewhere for all of this "service."

Sara said...

Thanks you guys for your words! The dog has been neutered but I think he was marking as well. We've been going over to the house three times a day for a couple of hours every time(because he's kenneled) and he has been a great dog in his house. I feel bad for him being in the kennel so much though. We are really looking forward to Sunday!

Emily said...

I'm DYING laughing, Sara. Sorry, but it's just too funny. Has the pee come out. And on your new carpet...I'd kill.