Thursday, January 15, 2009

Who would've thought... Lima Beans???


You know, as mothers we think we know what our kids will eat and what they just won't...or so we think we do! Last night I was making dinner and asked Stuart to go down to the freezer and get a frozen vegetable. He came up with what he thought were frozen peas. I said, "Stuart, these are Lima beans. I don't think you guys will eat these!" I asked him if there were any other vegetable and he said no so I thought what the heck I guess I'll try.
I know I didn't buy the Lima beans. I believe they were from Camp Susan and we ended up with them when we divided the left over food.
I cooked them in the microwave, sprinkled them with salt and put a pat of butter on them. I almost didn't even put them on the table because I thought there was no way they were going to eat them, but they were all willing to try... which surprised me as well.
It was a success! They ate them and some even said that they were their new favorite vegetable!
I let that be a lesson for me...if you don't try, you'll never know!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

You always hear, don't give your kids pre-conceptions about food before they try them. It's hard not to! Mine often surprise me (Conner more then Spencer, but I think he's growing out of the pickier staage).

Anonymous said...

My kids are the same way with sprouts. They think they're the best thing in the world, who knew?