Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oh What Do You Do In the Wintertime, When It's Freezing Cold Outside?

As many of you know, we have been very cold here in Wisconsin this month. We have also been very cooped up in the house and are all suffering from cabin fever. Last week it got so cold here that school was canceled Thursday and Friday. They also had Monday off for Martin Luther King Day. With the babysitting job I have, this leaves me with six kids to keep entertained! Luckily for me they are pretty creative kids so I didn't have to do too much, but I took some photos of some of the crazy things they did to keep themselves busy. I got a kick out of some of them.
Here they spent some time putting as many bows and clips in Oliver's hair as they could.

I was pretty impressed how many they got on his head.

Chloe and Sadie spent some time organizing my fingernail polish. Who would've thought! They would group them by colors and then line them up by their favorites. Of course we had a painting party with the girls. The color of choice was pink with green polk-a-dots.


This little activity has become an annual tradition of the kids. (And by annual I mean ONE TIME ONLY! As they would love to do this every week...but I say no!) What they do is draw names out of a hat for each other. Then they take some time and use my scrapbooking stuff to make a card for that person. Then the chaos starts! They start at the kitchen table with the name of the person they had, then they each take a ball of yarn and weave and wind it ALL over the main floor of the house. At the end of their line, they hide their card they made and a treat from the cupboard for their person. Then they each take turns trying to follow their line of yarn to find their prize. This takes most of the afternoon, a great way to blow alot of time!

Chloe said it best..."It looks like a spider web in my house!"

Another fun thing they did was to get into the Halloween costumes and play dress-up.
Whatever it takes to keep them happy and out of each others hair.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Love the yarn idea -- very fun.
For them. :)

Heidi said...

You did have a lot of time on your hands. We had no school Thursday, 2 hour delay on Friday and back to normal on Mondy. This Friday is a teacher inservice day, so the kids will be home.
I love the spider web in the house. That was really a creative idea. Can spring really be another 2 months away? And when it comes, will it really be here or just yanking our chains like last year.