Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I think I know the lesson this dog is trying to teach me...


I think I've got it figured out!
I'm about half way done with my doggy duty and to tell you the truth my attitude has been pretty stinky! I appreciated the kind words of compassion that some of you shared with me from my last post but I realize that that is just what I'm missing in my life...compassion!
Just as an update, the dog has been great at his own house...no pee! (Well of course there's been pee, but only in the appropriate places!) It has been somewhat of a trail in my life to go there more than several times and day and spend a couple of hours there or sleep on the couch for the night to let the dog stretch his little legs. I have vocalized that you couldn't pay me enough to ever do it again. But, I have done my fair share of complaining about this and being a martyr...time to move on and grow a little from this experience.
I was talking to my sister Emily today and she had been blogging about a recent trip she and her daughter made to El Paso, TX. (They were suppose to go to Mexico, but because of recent violence there they had to move there trip) My niece, Jane and her fellow classmates, had saved and fund raised a bunch of money to go and do service and help with the less fortunate there in El Paso. Emily's blog was filled with inspiring acts of service and great attitudes. This got me to thinking...do I have to go on a service mission to Mexico or El Paso to gain a better feeling of charity? No, I decided. I don't need to go any where. I can change my attitude with my family, friends, acquaintance's and even dogs that I agreed to help watch to be a more Christ-like person.
Lately I have felt a little down in the dumps...maybe from being cooped up all winter or maybe from not having Dave around very much to help out as he is highly involved with the musical at his school right now. But I do know this...I need to stop feeling sorry for myself and have a more positive outlook on my life. There...I feel better already! :)

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I think it's SO easy as a mom to get into those moments. I just wrote a blog about how my life sometimes seems SO monotonous. I mean, if anyone else (even Drew) came into my home and made breakfast, took the kids to school, played with them, cleaned, grocery shopped -- they'd be called a saint. And that's just me every day. :) It's hard to keep a happy attitude every hour of every day. Just do your best. :)

Stephanie St. John said...

Sara, you are one the most compassionate and generous people I know. I think anyone in your situation would be feeling a bit down. The routine you've established with this dog you are watching is tough, especially in this weather. Just the fact that you are willing to go over and spend so much time because you want the dog to happy shows that you have enormous compassion. Many people would go over feed him let him out and play for a couple minutes. You are already putting the comfort of the dog over your own. So stop beating yourself up and give yourself a pat on the back. Another possible lesson you may take from this experience is that you already are those wonderful things you aspire to be. Your wonderful family and all the blessings in your life reflect the love and compassion that you put into everything you do.