Monday, December 15, 2008

Deck the Halls!

This is a post idea that I "blog-lifted" from my sister, Emily. Thanks for all the good,creative ideas, Em!

This is one of my favorite Christmas decorations I have. It is an ebony, carved nativity from Mozambique, Africa that my parents sent us when they were on their mission. Some times I leave it up all year because it's so special and neat!


I made this nativity before I was married at a Super Saturday meeting for the ladies at our church. Being in a small branch out in the middle of nowhere, I don't have the opportunity to get to go to many of those anymore. I used to make a lot of cute things for my house when I lived out in Utah. I sure miss them.

These are just a few of the Christmas dolls that my mom made for me. I have lots of memories of my mom at the sewing machine sewing and sewing, getting ready for the Christmas boutique she had every year to make money for our Christmas. To this day I don't know how she did every thing to get ready for Christmas. With all her baking, sewing and shopping, she managed to get it all done and give us kids wonderful Christmases.


One of the things I like to do with the ornaments that we collect or that are given to us, is to hang them on garland on the banister on the stairs. Each of them have a story from where they came from or who gave them to us.


This is one of the kids favorite decorations. It is a snowman that sings and plays the piano. One of Dave's former piano students gave this to him.


Some of my priceless decorations I have are these two Santa's (on both ends). Before my Grandma Fay died, she'd loved to do ceramics at the senior center she'd go to. For a couple of years she gave these Santa's From Around the World out to all her grandchildren. I wish I had more of them. I love the them!


This is a Santa that my Grandma gave me. It stands about 3 feet and to the kids it signals where our elf, Twinkie, is going to leave his prize for the night!


My Christmas decor around the house is in gold and red. Sometimes I wish I had a different color scheme or a different style but that would break the bank! But for the most part I'm pretty content with what I have.


I love Christmas because we get to deck the halls and have lights and decorations that bring back fond memories of when we were kids.
After the holidays are over and everything comes down, the house seems so bare. I can hardly wait till the next year to put it all up again!

2 comments:

DJ said...

I love all your decorations especially that they have sentimental value.

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

I miss you guys so much. Your home is always so welcoming. There is am extra spirit this time of year and it is always felt in your home. I have been so busy that I don't even have a tree up yet. I hope to get to it this weekend while Mike and Jordan are in WI. Yep, I convinced Mike that he wants to take the baby...she still flies free.