Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!!!

The kids were so excited to go pick out a tree at Muskrat City Gun Club Tree Farm. Our little pre-lit fake tree was on the fritz so we decided to get a real tree. I was kind of surprised at how excited the kids were to have a real tree and how much it meant to them.


Oliver wasn't feeling at his best today but he tried to paint on a happy face.


On the hunt for the perfect tree!


The thing I liked about this tree farm is that they weren't the perfectly groomed, painted tree. These tree were a little more natural and scrawny. Just the way I like them!!


As we were looking around for a tree another family had been looking at this tree but then walked away to look at others. They didn't come back for a while so we came upon it and thought it was a good looking tree. I felt kind of bad when the family came back to get this one while we were in the process of cutting it down. We thought that they didn't want this one. I guess, "You snooze, you loose!" They ended up getting a different tree that they liked better. No hard feelings!


The boys had a blast zigging and zagging through all the trees. It was fun to watch them chase, tag, tackle and dive in the deep piles of snow! Even after we found our tree they begged us to let them stay and play.


Chloe didn't care much for being in snow up to her hips. Her footing wasn't stable so she had me carry her all over kingdom come! After a while of this I was like, "OK...let's get the tree and get out of here! My arms are killing!!!"



The great adventure of going to the tree farm is searching for the tree, cutting it down, dragging it out to the car parked a mile away, strapping it to the car and hope it doesn't fall off!!...oh wait...


It did fall off!!! Luckily for us Dave took the back roads home and the tree didn't sustain too much damage as it tumbled around on the road!


Dave said he planned it that way so all the limbs of the tree that were covered with ice and snow would be cleared so we would be able to bring it in the house right away! Ha Ha, yeah right!!!


We pick out a Blue Spruce. Although it is very beautiful, it is a beast to touch. Neither one of us wanted to put the lights on because it was sheer torture to get poked every time you got near it. Dave and I took turns, he wearing yellow rubber gloves and me with my winter gloves on! Next time I told him I wanted something more soft to the touch, that doesn't kill the Christmas spirit when you touch it!!


A few days later after our wounds on our hands and arms had cleared, we finally managed to decorate it. Because it is so much bigger than our previous tree, I think we need more ornaments to fill in all the space.


We really like this tree this year. We created a lot of memories picking it out and decorating it. It finally feels like Christmas. Ahhhh!!!!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love the pictures. Especially that of your tree on the road.

Bowlby Family Organazation said...

I love your tree, and I think I miss the snow. Tonight it was so cold that I got out my down coat(the pink one). I haven't had it on since the day we drove out of Wisconsin. The tree on the road is hysterical!! And Sara...what happened to your background? I am never to busy to make you something new!

Emily said...

I love the pictures in this post. Laughing out loud about the tree falling off the van. I'm totally with you with the blue spruce pain. Last years tree was one that we cut down (actually the top) that was blocking the garden. It was a BEAST with getting the lights and decorations on.